27 August, 2018
The Drone Racing League season is preparing for take-off with more pilots, more races and more action than ever before. Swatch is proud to continue its involvement in the DRL as Official Supporter for the 2018 season. Movement, color, adrenaline and timing: drone racing has it all, which makes this thrilling sport a perfect match for Swatch.
In 2017, 55 million fans in over 75 countries watched the events and this season, the fusion of physical and digital worlds is expected to attract even more attention. DRL courses introduce an entirely new sports and entertainment eco-system, with the world’s best First Person View (FPV) pilots navigating camera-fitted drones through complex, 3D mile-long courses at speeds of 90 mph.
This year, the futuristic DRL courses will be set up in seven venues around the world. Eighteen FPV pilots will fly identical hand-built DRL racing drones in iconic venues in the US and Europe.
• Woodward West, the world-class camp for pro skateboarders and BMXers in Tehachapi, California, USA
• University of Arizona’s Biosphere 2, the largest enclosed ecological observatory on the planet, located in Oracle, Arizona, USA
• The Adventuredome at Circus Circus Las Vegas, a five-acre indoor amusement park in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
• Allianz Riviera, a gigantic football stadium in Nice, France
• BMW Welt, the multisensory brand and product experience center of the BMW Group, located in the heart of Munich, Germany
• Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Rankings are based on the fastest times and the winners of each race will battle for the World Champion title at the final event hosted in Saudi Arabia.
Catch the action on ESPN when the season takes flight on September 6th. Until then, check out a preview of the speed and movement that’s to come below.